- Instructor: Prof. Mimi
- Teaching Assistant: Rui Zhao
- Email: email@example.com
- Office: MSEE 190
- Office Hours: Tuesday 10:20 - 11:20 am, 5:20 - 6:20 pm, Wednesday 10:30 - 11:30 am.
- Electronic copy of code for lab 10.2, lab 8 due Monday December 13, 2010 12am in Zhao148's dropbox (ECE438L Sec1 Sec3)
- Teaching Assistant: Shiv Biddanda
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Office: MSEE 393
- Office Hours: Tuesday 2:20 - 2:50 pm (MSEE 190), Thursday 5:20 - 6:20 pm (MSEE 190)
- Electronic copy of code for lab 8, due Friday December 10, 2010 12am in Shiv's dropbox (ECE438L Sec2)
- Electronic copy of code for lab 10.2, due Friday December 10, 2010 12am in Shiv's dropbox (ECE438L Sec2)
- Teaching Assistant: Jaemin Han
- Course Syllabus
- Important Dates:
- Test 1, Friday October 1, 2010.
- Test 2, Friday December 3, 2010.
Material Used in Class
- DTFT of a Window Function (used when discussing leakage effect of signal truncation in discrete-time).
- Plot of some basic image filters
Getting ready for the Exams
- Past Exams From Spring 2009 (Note: slightly different ordering of the material)
- Practice Problems
- questions about z-transforms and inverse-z-transforms
- Interested in learning how Shazam, the popular music identification app on mobile devices works? Their method is based on using a generalized version of a Spectrogram. Read this to learn more. The original technical paper is available here.
- HW1, due Wednesday September 1, 2010 (in class). Solution
- HW2, due Wednesday September 8, 2010 6pm in Prof. Boutin's dropbox (the ECE438 HW2 Assignment box). Example Solution
- HW3, due Wednesday September 15, 2010. Solution
- HW4, due Wednesday September 22, 2010: complete the peer review of HW3.
- HW5, due Wednesday September 29, 2010. Solution Example Solution
- HW6, due Friday October 15, 2010. Enjoy your Fall break! Solution
- HW7, due Friday October 22, 2010. Solution
- HW8, due Wednesday November 3, 2010. Solution
- HW9, due Friday November 12, 2010.
- Bonus HW, due Friday December 10, 2010.
To brush up on fundamental material
- ECE301 stuff about the construction of periodic signals
- Recommended exercises of Fourier series computations for CT signals, especially this one.
- Recommended exercises of Fourier series computations for DT signals
- Rhea's Collective Table of Formulas. Add your formulas now!
Your turn! A bonus point opportunity
Students in ECE438 Fall 2010 have the opportunity to earn up to a 3% bonus by contributing a Rhea page on a subject related to digital signal processing. To pick a subject, simply write your name next to it. Please no more than one student per subject. Your page will be graded based on content as well as interactions with other people (page views, comments/questions on the page, etc.). The number of links to other courses and subjects will also be taken into account: the more the merrier! Please do not simply copy the lecture notes and do not plagiarize. Read Rhea's copyright policy before proceeding.
|Topic Number||Topic Description||Student Name||Deadline|
|1||CT and DT Fourier transform||Kimberly Soong||TBD|
|2||z-transform||Chang Keun Yoon||TBD|
|4||Discrete Fourier transform||Hardi Irawan||TBD|
|5||Fast Fourier transform||TBD|
|6||DT Systems||Write your name||TBD|
|7||Filtering-Recap||Write your name||TBD|
|8||Speech||Write your name||TBD|
|9||Spectral Analysis of 2D signals||Write your name||TBD|
|10a||Image Processing||Write your name||TBD|
|10b||Image Processing Using Partial Differential Equations||Write your name||TBD|
|11||Quantization||Write your name||TBD|
|12||Audio Signal Encoding||Write your name||TBD|
|13||How to remove the sound of vuvuzelas from a digital recording||Chen Chen||TBD|
|14||Student blogs for ECE438||Write your name (s)||TBD|